Tajikistan welcomes Iran-U.S. talks and advocates for peaceful conflict resolution
Tajikistan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sirojiddin Muhriddin, has expressed the country’s «welcome» for the talks between Iran and the U.S., which began in Muscat, the capital of Oman, on February 6.
The negotiations between Tehran and Washington, involving Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and U.S. Special Envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, started on the morning of February 6 in Muscat.
At a press conference in Dushanbe, Muhriddin emphasized that Tajikistan supports peace, stability, security, and tranquility. He reiterated that all differences should be resolved exclusively through constructive dialogue.
«Tajikistan’s position is based on internationally recognized norms of law, including respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity, state independence, and non-interference in the internal affairs of states,» said the minister.
He reminded the media of the statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs a few days earlier in response to the escalation of tensions in the Middle East, particularly regarding Iran, and once again underscored that Tajikistan «supports the peaceful resolution of conflicts.»
Regarding Tajikistan’s relationship with Iran, Muhriddin added that bilateral ties are based on friendship, mutual respect, and common interests, «strengthened by a solid historical and cultural foundation, and sustainable political, economic, trade, energy, and cultural cooperation is steadily developing.»
It is worth noting that on February 5, Abbas Araghchi announced nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Muscat. Earlier, media reports indicated that Iranian and American officials, led by Araghchi and Witkoff, would meet in Istanbul on February 6.
In 2025, the U.S. and Iran held five rounds of negotiations, but they ended without results. Later, following Israel’s attack on Iran and the subsequent U.S. involvement, the talks were suspended.
The situation in the Middle East remains tense amid the ongoing confrontation between the U.S. and Iran, mutual warnings from both sides, as well as the deployment of U.S. air and naval forces to the region and the Iranian military’s increased readiness. Experts warn of the potential for a new conflict or U.S. strikes on Iran.
«No Tajik citizens hurt during protests in Iran»
Sirojiddin Muhriddin also stated today that no Tajik citizens were harmed during the recent protests in Iran.
«The Tajik Embassy in Iran, despite communication difficulties at the time, maintained contact with some Tajik citizens living in Iran within its available means and provided the necessary assistance,» he explained.
It should be noted that Iranian authorities previously reported the death of 3,117 people in the latest protests, of which 2,427 were civilians and security personnel, and 690 were «terrorists and insurgents.»
It was also reported that «among the deceased were a significant number of innocent bystanders, women, children, and elderly people.»
Protests in Iran began in late December of the previous year amid a sharp decline in the rial’s exchange rate (Iran’s national currency) and rising inflation, and lasted for several days. During the clashes, the internet in Iran was shut down, and the current situation inside the country remains unclear.
The negotiations between Tehran and Washington, involving Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and U.S. Special Envoy to the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, started on the morning of February 6 in Muscat.
At a press conference in Dushanbe, Muhriddin emphasized that Tajikistan supports peace, stability, security, and tranquility. He reiterated that all differences should be resolved exclusively through constructive dialogue.
«Tajikistan’s position is based on internationally recognized norms of law, including respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity, state independence, and non-interference in the internal affairs of states,» said the minister.
He reminded the media of the statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs a few days earlier in response to the escalation of tensions in the Middle East, particularly regarding Iran, and once again underscored that Tajikistan «supports the peaceful resolution of conflicts.»
Regarding Tajikistan’s relationship with Iran, Muhriddin added that bilateral ties are based on friendship, mutual respect, and common interests, «strengthened by a solid historical and cultural foundation, and sustainable political, economic, trade, energy, and cultural cooperation is steadily developing.»
It is worth noting that on February 5, Abbas Araghchi announced nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Muscat. Earlier, media reports indicated that Iranian and American officials, led by Araghchi and Witkoff, would meet in Istanbul on February 6.
In 2025, the U.S. and Iran held five rounds of negotiations, but they ended without results. Later, following Israel’s attack on Iran and the subsequent U.S. involvement, the talks were suspended.
The situation in the Middle East remains tense amid the ongoing confrontation between the U.S. and Iran, mutual warnings from both sides, as well as the deployment of U.S. air and naval forces to the region and the Iranian military’s increased readiness. Experts warn of the potential for a new conflict or U.S. strikes on Iran.
«No Tajik citizens hurt during protests in Iran»
Sirojiddin Muhriddin also stated today that no Tajik citizens were harmed during the recent protests in Iran.
«The Tajik Embassy in Iran, despite communication difficulties at the time, maintained contact with some Tajik citizens living in Iran within its available means and provided the necessary assistance,» he explained.
It should be noted that Iranian authorities previously reported the death of 3,117 people in the latest protests, of which 2,427 were civilians and security personnel, and 690 were «terrorists and insurgents.»
It was also reported that «among the deceased were a significant number of innocent bystanders, women, children, and elderly people.»
Protests in Iran began in late December of the previous year amid a sharp decline in the rial’s exchange rate (Iran’s national currency) and rising inflation, and lasted for several days. During the clashes, the internet in Iran was shut down, and the current situation inside the country remains unclear.
Комментарии (0)